It’s been some time that I found out that there’s something called the Liebster Award, an award that is given to blogs that have only recently made their way into the vast blogosphere. So, having found out about it (I think you can guess what comes now) I really, really, really was excited and ever so happy to have been nominated myself, thanks to Jhuls of http://thenotsocreativecook.wordpress.com/. Don’t let yourself be deceived by the name because I think that Jhuls in fact is an absolutely creative cook/baker and if you have a look at her recipes – which you absolutely should, trust me – you’ll soon notice that I’m right. Creative or not creative, thanks so much for nominating me.
For those of you who’ve never heard of the Liebster Award before, there’s some rules to it that I’d like to shortly introduce you to. You’re to answer ten questions that have been given to you by your nominator (scroll down for my answers) and you have to nominate ten blogs yourself. Honestly, the nominating was much harder than answering the questions because there are just so many awesome blogs about. But anyway, I did my best, so there you go:
I’ll start with My Ten Questions:
1. What food/ingredient(s) you always make sure you have?
Fruits and vegetables. And water. Otherwise I’d probably starve in a day or two.
2. What is your signature dish?
My breakfast porridge (which is to be uploaded as soon as I manage to take pictures of it before eating the whole bowl).
3. What is your favorite breakfast food?
Well, that said porridge ;)
4. What is/are your other interest/s aside from cooking and baking?
Since a considerably amount of my free time goes to doing sports, let’s answer the question with: doing sports!
5. If I will ask your friends to describe you in one phrase, what do you think they will tell me?
That I’m a very, very, very strange but funny and pretty nice person. Sometimes. If I want to. No, basically always. At least I try. (You see what I mean?)
6. What is the first thing you’ve cooked and baked?
Phew, the first thing ever? Maybe an egg? The first recipe on the blog was egg salad. Oh my, we have a bit of an egg overload here, so maybe I should change the first answer to “A six course menu, complete with hors d’oeuvre and cheese platter” (which sounds fancy but is an absolute lie).
7. What is your favorite thing from your kitchen? Okay, you can name three.
I don’t quite know what it’s called but it’s this thing which you can pick up everything with. I just googled it and it’s called a tong. Anyway, it’s awesome!
8. What is the latest thing you bought for your kitchen?
Little bags of translucent fabric where you can wrap little gifts or other things into. But I won’t say more because that’s going to be a surprise.
9. Who inspired you to make your blog?
I wrote my Bachelor thesis on the topic of blogs and read heaps of books about the whole issue. Somewhere between Rebecca Blood and The Brown Eyed Baker I got addicted to them. And while blogging, I have to admit that it’s my Culinary Consultant’s photography that makes my heart leap with joy (literally) when seeing the pictures.
10. Any advice to other new bloggers?
Yes. Enjoy what you’re doing and do it with all your heart. Don’t compare yourself too much in the beginning, especially not to bloggers who’ve been doing this for years. Just make sure that your blog is entirely what you yourself want it to be.
And there go My Ten Nominees and Their Questions:
1. foodlikecake: Ah, what can I say? Chloe’s cakes are savory, sinful and superb, especially to look at. I still didn’t get around to try and bake one myself but they’re so indulgent and I’m afraid I can’t withstand any longer.
2. Cooking Is My Sport: What I love about Jess(ica)’s blog is that she’s doing all kind of different stuff, upgrading each post with gorgeous pictures. I’m so glad I found out about her blog.
3. RollercoasterKitchen: When finding out about my blog Kathi was like “Oh, I see concurrence there”, but for me it really is more of mutual inspiration? And I still love that pizza!
4. ice cream magazine: Ice cream everywhere – do I need to say more? Yes? Ok, Pansy (please correct me if I got the name wrong) is a godess with ice cream and everything that revolves around it. Seriously. Check it out, it’s amazing.
5. Das Knusperstübchen: So sorry that this blog is in German but it’s such a perfect one. Sarah bakes and, oh my, is she good at it. The pictures literally make me want to crawl into the screen and eat it all up.
6. Ginger & Olives: Anne-Marie’s recipes are really inspiring because she’s also doing everything homemade, which is just great.
7. Amintiri din Bucătărie: Another bilingual blog! And although I don’t understand a word of the original recipes, I always like to catch up on the English versions because Oana cooks fabulous traditional Romanian meals.
8. eight finger food: I swar to God it was coincidence that eight finger food is listed as number eight here. Anyways, I know it’s a German one again, but then again, there’s so many great vegetarian dishes online, that I just couldn’t resist nominating it.
9. Much a Munch: Again one of those blogs I could just dive into because the food looks so delicious. My respects to Jo that she’s managing such a wonderful blog with having her family to look after too.
10. And last but not least The Domestic Man: Honestly, Russ is the hope for all men out there trying to patch together a decent meal. And at the same time he’s the living proof that men can cook.
So, if you accept your nomination, I’d like to know
1. Do you have a nickname?
2. What is it that made you blog?
3. If today was your last day, what are the three dishes that you would cook, eat, buy or order?
4. What is the dish your mum has always cooked/baked for your birthday?
5. (Just because this one’s always among the first questions I tend to ask people): Do you have a pet?
6. Food blog or cookbook?
7. What is it that makes you admire a person?
8. Is there any kind of food that you hate although you’ve never actually tasted it?
9. Give me the three best and worst adjectives that best describe you.
10. Just because I’m interested: what’s your favorite book?
These are the award’s rules:
1. Link to the person who nominated you
2. Answer their questions
3. Nominate new blogs for the award
4. Ask them 10 new questions
5. Let the nominees know they have been nominated
And before bringing this post to an end: Jhuls, you asked why yawns are contagious. I heard it’s got something to do with a special kind of neurons. They’re called mirror neurons and they make sure that you subconsciously mirror what your counterpart does in order to fit in, not stick out. They, for example, make you mirror mimics – or make you yawn. If anyone has a more scientific explanation for that, I’d be absolutely thrilled to hear it.